Warning: fopen(/home/virtual/pediatrics/journal/upload/ip_log/ip_log_2024-07.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/virtual/pediatrics/journal/ip_info/view_data.php on line 82

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/virtual/pediatrics/journal/ip_info/view_data.php on line 83
A Survey and Clinical Study on Neonatal Disease Who were Admitted from Outside.

Journal of the Korean Pediatric Society 1983;26(7):647-654.
Published online July 31, 1983.
A Survey and Clinical Study on Neonatal Disease Who were Admitted from Outside.
Moon Ho Chung, Dong Won Lee, Soo Ji Moon, Chong Moo Park
Department of Pediatrics、College of Medicine, Hanyang University Seoul,Korea
외부입원 신생아의 임상통계학적 고찰
정문호, 이동원, 문수지, 박종무
한양대학병원 소아과
Abstract
The first 28 days following birth, the neonatal pericd, is a vitally important period. This is a period of adjustment from intrauterine to extrauterine life involving considerable physiological adaptation and is associated with high morbidity with a consequent high mortality rate. Though mother & child health care have been provided in Korea, inadequate prenatal care and low incidence of hospital delivery bring on various risk factors in neonatal period. In order to find out the morbidity and mortality of neonatal disease, which is an indicator national health status, author surveyed and statistically analysed the 1075 newborn patients admitted from outside during the past 6 years from Jan. 1,1976 to Dec. 31, 1981. The following results were obtained. 1) Neonatal patients admitted from outside were 7.4% of the total admitted pediatric patients (14534). The male: female ratio was 1.8 : 1. There was no annual change in this distribution. 2) Of the above patients, 25.1% were admitted cn the first day of birth, 31.9% on days 2〜7; a total of 57.0% of neonatal patients being admitted within the first week pcstpartum. 3) The birth weight distribution was: Low birth weight-33.7%, Normal birth weight 62.3%, and birth weight greater than 4,000 gm—4.0%. 4) An examination of the gestational period showed preterm births to be 28. 0%, full term births, 66.7%, and postterm births, 5.3% of the total neonatal patients. 5) The types of delivery were: NSVD—87.0%, C-section—7.2%, Vacuum extraction—2.8%, Breech delivery—1.9%, and Forcep delivery1.1%. 6) The place of birth was as follows: Hospital—83.2%, Home—14.1 %, and at a Midwifery clinic—2.7%, The relative number of hospital births increased annually. 7) The major sings and symptoms at admission were as follows: Jaundice—40.2%, Prematurity—20. 1%, Poor sucking—19.1%. 8) The disease distribution, in order of decreasing frequency was: Hyperbilirubinemia (mostcommon), Infection, Prematurity, Respiratory Disease, and Congenital anomaly. The distribution of specific entities was as follows, in order of decreasing frequency: Hyperbilirubinemia, Prematurity, Sepsis, Pneumonia, and Tetanus. 9) The prognosis showed that 79.2% improved, 16. 5% were discharged against advice, and 4.3% expired. The relative number of patients improving, increasing annually. 10) The total number of patients who expired in the course of this study was 44. The cause of death, in order of decreas-frequency was: Prematurity, Idiopathic Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Sepsis, Tetanus, and Congenital Anomaly. 11) In the congenital disease category, Congenital Heart Disease was mcst common, and Congenital pyloric Stenosis, congenital megacolon, and imperforate anrs were less frequent, in order of decreasing requency.
Key Words: Newborn admitted from outside.


METRICS Graph View
  • 1,037 View
  • 8 Download